Texas Car Accident FAQ

The aftermath of a car accident is often a time of uncertainty and frustration. We understand what you are going through. Our attorneys are here to help you get your life back on track. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in the Dallas area, we encourage you to call us at 214-380-4030 or complete our contact form for a free initial consultation. Following are some common questions that people have after a car accident:

What steps should I take immediately after a wreck?

  1. If you are injured, get medical attention.
  2. Report the accident to police. The police report can be used in your personal injury claim to prove the other driver’s negligence. It is also illegal to leave the scene of a serious accident without reporting it to police.
  3. Gather important information. This includes the other driver’s contact information, insurance information, driver’s license number and license plate number. You can use your phone to take pictures of these items.
  4. Document the crash scene and the surrounding area. Take pictures of the damage and where the vehicles came to rest. Also, get the contact information from any witnesses. If your injuries prevent you from doing these things, see if someone else — a passenger, friend, etc. — can do these things for you.
  5. Contact a personal injury lawyer at Cortez Law Firm, PLLC, as soon as possible. The sooner we get involved in your case, the sooner we can start helping you get the maximum available compensation for your injuries and how they affect your life now and in the future.

My injuries don’t seem too serious. Should I still get medical attention?

If you are injured at all, it is a good idea to at least get examined by your doctor or at a clinic. The signs of many car accident injuries do not show up until days or weeks after the accident. Immediately after a crash, you are likely experiencing an adrenaline rush, and this can mask the effects of an injury. You may have internal injuries or soft tissue injuries that could worsen over time. Be sure to get medical attention, even if your injuries seem minor, and be sure to tell the medical provider that your injuries are the result of the car accident.

Should I accept the insurance company’s initial settlement offer?

No — not before you speak to us. Insurance companies are notorious for making “lowball” settlement offers that do not cover the full cost of an injury. In many cases, insurance companies contact accident victims soon after a crash and offer what seems to be a sizeable settlement. Often this initial settlement offer is far less than what the injury victim needs and deserves to cover medical bills, lost income and other costs resulting from the crash. Our attorneys can assess the full cost of your injuries and negotiate with the insurance company for the maximum available compensation in your case.

The other driver doesn’t have insurance. What are my options?

If the other driver has no insurance or has inadequate insurance to cover your injuries, you may still have options for receiving compensation. Uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage is a type of insurance that is meant to cover injury and property damage costs when the other driver lacks adequate insurance. Many people don’t realize that they have this type of coverage in their policy. If you have questions about uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage, or if you simply need to know your options after a collision with an uninsured driver, we encourage you to contact us to learn more.

Can I get compensation for the diminished value of my vehicle?

Most Texas law firms do not handle diminished value claims, but we do. We can assess your case and determine whether it is possible for you to get compensation for the difference in your vehicle’s value just prior to the accident and the value after repairs are completed.

Contact Cortez Law Firm, PLLC

Cortez Law Firm, PLLC, handles motor vehicle accident cases on a contingency basis. That means we do not collect attorney fees unless we win your claim for compensation. For a free initial consultation, please call us in Dallas at 214-380-4030 or fill out our contact form. For non-English speaking clients, we provide legal assistance in Spanish, Gujarati and Punjabi.